We’re working to create a beautiful outdoor learning space that promotes movement and collaborative play while connecting children to nature. The key features of our new 2200 square foot edible schoolyard will be:
- Soil Work/Re-Grading/Bioswales
- Play Hill with Ground Slide
- Shade Structure with Sail Canopies
- Rain Garden with Aquatic Plants
- Dry River Bed and Ornamental Bridge
- Sand Play Area
- Tree Trunk Gym
- Willow Tunnel
- Prairie Grass and Flower Maze
- Water Play Area
- Fruit Tree “Guilds”
- Open-concept Playhouse
- Rain Barrel, Portable Stage, Picnic Tables, and Adirondack Chairs
There are many significant advantages to installing a natural play space over fixed, commercial structures. These include the following:
- Opportunities for collaboration, problem-solving, and imaginative play.
- Empowerment through safe, developmentally appropriate risk-play.
- Greater connection with food sources and the natural world.
- Student ownership and environmental stewardship
- Exposure to environmental diversity (e.g., fruit guilds, pollinator species, etc.).
- Improved water conservation through rainwater harvesting using on-site rain gardens and bioswales